Although Dr. Seuss passed away in 1991, he still continues to dominate sales records in children’s book publishing. His amazing catalog of published works has bridged the gap between multiple generations, thereby becoming a symbol of childhood worldwide.
A Snapshot of Dr. Seuss Hardcover Sales in 2016
This data has been compiled by Publisher’s Weekly, and the figures are based on print unit sales at outlets that report to NPD Bookscan, which tracks roughly 85% of the print market.
- Oh, the Places You’ll Go! Dr. Seuss. Random House (585,284)
- Green Eggs and Ham. Dr. Seuss. Random House (364,977)
- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Dr. Seuss. Random House (313,777)
- The Cat in the Hat. Dr. Seuss. Random House (253,993)
- Dr. Seuss’s ABC. Dr. Seuss. Random House (163,587)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Dr. Seuss. Random House (156,554)
- Seuss-isms! Dr. Seuss. Random House (143,212)
- Fox in Socks. Dr. Seuss. Random House (142,371)
- Are You My Mother? P.D. Eastman. Random House (141,615)
- Hop on Pop. Dr. Seuss. Random House (129,054)
- Go, Dog. Go! P.D. Eastman. Random House (120,090)
- What Pet Should I Get? Dr. Seuss. Random House (107,471)
Dr. Seuss’ success so many years after his passing is truly a remarkable achievement. The majority of children’s books reach their greatest sales levels within the first 2-4 years of publication, but Dr. Seuss’ popularity continues to increase. In fact, his sales figures increased by 50% between 2010 and 2013.
Read more about Dr. Seuss sales records here: